Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring Has Sprung

First came the seedlings, sitting on a heating pad in my dining room window. Once I transferred the seedlings
to containers, I quickly grew tired of the clutter--the tray of pepper plants parked next to the coffee maker in the kitchen, the small tables of tomatoes, eggplants, and herbs lined up in the dining room. As the winter weather subsided, I started to place the flats outdoors to harden off, bringing them in at night when the temperature was too cold.

Finally, a neighbor kindly agreed to till the garden for me. (In appreciation, we gave him two bottles of wine and he's still telling stories about his wife and a little too much buzz from the wine.) When it looked like we were going to have a warm spell of weather, I quickly planted everything because I'm always so impatient and set up all the crazy looking cages to support the plants and keep everything vertical. They're on their own now. All the plants are doing well, except the darn Italian cucumbers which turned out to be pretty wimpy.



Here are eggplants & tomatoes next to the budding fig. I lay down bricks to have some place to walk once the garden becomes a jungle.

Peppers, peppers and more peppers

Green beans--large, flat Smeraldas

1 comment:

  1. Very nice photos of the new garden!! Wonderful variety of plants. Wow, how everything has grown in less than a month. Call me and I'll move my trash barrel next time you have a garden photographic session!! lol

    ReplyDelete