I managed to make a small batch between gardening and chores today. It only takes a half hour of your time and the result is like nothing you've ever tasted before. Here it is.
4 cups whole milk (I used 2% milk)
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt (use a good quality fleur du sel or a Mediterranean salt)
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Put the milk, cream, and salt in a stainless steel pot (or an enameled pot) and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Let the mixture stand for a minute.
- Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined sieve that's been placed over a bowl. I prefer to use a fine mesh bag that is typically used for straining jelly. It's the perfect size and you can tie the top closed.
- Let the mixture drain for about a half hour until you achieve the desired thickness.
- Taste it. Am I right? Add your favorite herbs and use it as a spread or use it in a recipe.