Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bernard Pivot Blogfest

For a little craziness and fun, here are my answers to the Blogfest questionnaire.
  1. What is your favorite word? maybe (it always gets me off the hook)
  2. What is your least favorite word? cool
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Being told I have to conform to someone else’s expectations always causes me to chart my own course.
  4. What turns you off? hypocrisy
  5. What is your favorite curse word? I love them all
  6. What sound or noise do you love? thunder and lightning
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? the constant ringing in my ears
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? A revolutionary
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Nursing – the sight of blood makes me weak in the knees and besides, both of my daughters are nurses. Who needs to hear any more of those gross stories around the dinner table?
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? It’s about time. What took you so damn long?—and don’t tell me you got lost.

27 comments:

  1. I thought "bless you" was your least favorite word(s). You don't like our disgusting stories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there fellow crusader. My sister's a nurse and I agree, I couldn't do it. I'm much too squeamish. Happily she doesn't relate those stories at the dinner table. I liked your no. 10. I never thought about getting lost on the way, but come to think of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there from another crusader! Yes, 'cool' is overused but thunder and lightning is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from a fellow crusader! It's great to get to know you through this blogfest. I love what you wrote about forced conformity sending you on a personal and uncharted course. THAT'S inspiring, in itself!

    Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from the Shade of the Cherry Tree and the Crusade. I love your blog's name. Lovely sound and images it evokes. It's going to be fun getting to know everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your answer about nursing. I can deal with the stories but one look at vomit and I'd be on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fellow blogfest participant and new follower here. I really like your answers. Hypocrisy is a huge pet peeve. I look forward to reading more of your work. If you have a chance, check out my blog at: http://writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Revolutionary! Best answer yet for #8. Love #10 :D

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there crusader! I love your nice short pithy answers. Cool!

    Denise:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can very much relate to the nursing answer. Blood draws and IV insertion would make me whoosy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I saw that you signed up for my RSS feed at Onceupona, which is great! But since I actually write on my blogspot blog, I thought you might want to know that that is my official crusader blog. And reading your answers over... I'll see you at the battlefront!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Danette. I realized that as soon as I signed up for the feed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there- a fellow crusader here still trying to make my way through the blogfest list. I never thought before what a great word maybe is. It's a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is there about nurses that when two or more are gathered, the talk goes to nursing experiences?? It's really gross to someone like myself, who never ever wished to be a nurse!! EEKKK!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello from a fellow crusader. So fun to see you on this blogfest too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello fellow crusader! What a lovely blog you have here. Nice to meet you:-)
    Rane
    from The Lit Express

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your #10....

    Hi, Linda,

    I hopped over from the crusader's list to introduce myself an follow.

    It's nice to meet you.

    This crusade is going to be awesome!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a Crusader, too, dropping in say 'hello' and check out your blog. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I say 'cool' way to often for someone my age. Number ten made me chuckle.
    I'm a crusader two, so I've done a two-in-one here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another fellow Crusader! Just here to see your blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello fellow crusader!

    I love thunder and lightning, too. Nothing beats a good old fashioned summer thunderstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lost? Are you kidding me? Have you seen what passes for directions down there? I am surprised I got here at all. I wandered around three quarters of Texas to finally even find a gravel road! Next time send up a flare or something.....well the star was a bit before my time, thank you. They expect you to shop now -

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your blog! Je parle francais aussi.
    Welcome to the crusade

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey there fellow Crusader! I think "cool" is overused, nonetheless I use it all the time anyway, at least in conversation. And I have ringing in the ears too alas. I am happy to follow your blog, and look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Maybe"...I love it! As a parent, I use that word all the time :) Hi to a fellow crusader!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thunder and lightning, perfect. I wish I had thought of that too.
    Thanks for sharing your answers.

    ReplyDelete