Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Why Are Men Such Bad Liars?

If you watch any TV at all, the nightly news is constantly buzzing about men caught in obvious lies and chicanery of all sorts--the most recent, Congressman Anthony Weiner. Not that women don't lie. They do, but I'm beginning to believe they are much better at it. How many powerful men, when finally cornered, find themselves blubbering a tearful confession in front of a microphone. O mea culpa. To make matters worse, a man will often force the woman in his life to stand stoically by his side while he recites his litany of stupidity. I scratch my head in disbelief. Now, when Sarah Palin tells a lie, she just keeps on truckin' like the pistol-packin' mama she is. One good lie deserves another. She doesn't even bat an eyelash. You might want to choke her, but you have to admire her ability to dodge the bullets. (You've got to use gun metaphors when talking about Sarah.)

So all of this has me thinking. With all these examples of liars in real life, why don't we write more about them in fiction? Lying is a real art form and a serious character flaw. I want to re-examine some of my fictional characters, men and women, in terms of their ability to tell a lie or not. Moreover, I want to understand why a person thinks he or she is immune to being caught in dishonesty. How do real life people or the characters in your stories so confound the facts and fictions of their lives that they do not recognize their own deceit until somebody finally nails their hide to the wall?

4 comments:

  1. No, I don't think that's true. The reason you see men more than women on tv is because they are the ones in the positions where lying is of concern to people. There are far more male politicians than female, for example, but there are still huge numbers getting away with it.

    And that means those few women who have managed to get to the top have had to hone theor skills far more than the average male (or they're psycopaths to begin with).

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palin can get away with it because rational people know she's a dunce and the Tea Party is so dumb they believe her.

    And to be misogynist here, by and large most female politicians are pretty gross looking. I'm not talking about wives. I mean come on, would you want to see Hillary or Pelosi in Playboy? Ewwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, there are more men in the spotlight. Women in power seem just as willing to lie to the public, however, very few of them are willing to drag their families through the mud by engaging in dangerous liasons and criminal activities.

    As for you, Rogue Mutt, you are a misogynist, but an honest one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's because we've been raising our children to think they can do no wrong, never letting them fail at anything, then wondering why we've created so many narcissists. And maybe they're more prevalent in politics, because they need to be narcissistic to get elected. Maybe?

    And Rogue Mutt, what pleasure/reward do you get for your misogyny? And no real props to you for your honesty about it, because misogynistic behavior always eventually shows it face.

    ReplyDelete