Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Prophecy or Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

Ah, the doomsday stories we’ve been telling ourselves since the beginning of time.  The year 2012 looms. The news is always about death and despair. Mother Earth is on a tear—flooding, storming, burning, melting, shaking, blowing hot, blowing cold, withholding her bounty, and then pummeling us with it. Only the most stupid among us would say that we have no part in this story. Most of us suspect that this stew we live in is greatly of our own making. Deep down, many believe we deserve something cataclysmic for all the war and strife we have brought to this planet. The religious hope to be spared, never mind how much evil has been committed in God’s name. Those cultures more closely aligned with the earth, such as the Mayans, had their feet firmly rooted in the earth and their eyes fixed on the stars. They at least conceded that earth was a living, breathing thing in a vast universe and they were a part of it. Perhaps their vision of a world end was the pangs of rebirth.

The world has always been a place of turmoil. The difference now is that we are finally forced to recognize our interconnectedness. What happens in one community or country affects all the others. There is no place to escape to unless you want to leave the planet. Maybe all the dire predictions of a Cayce or a Nostradamus can be overruled by a world that seeks its own rebirth and makes a choice for the common good—a place where the pursuit of greed, selfishness, and the hunger for power can be banished. Until then, all stories, including mine, are about the battle between good and evil—the good who lay down their lives for others and the evil who take lives in a vain attempt to control the world. It’s a simple storyline that plays out in nations and in the daily lives of us all.

As for prophesying what is to come, I suspect we are God’s great experiment. The prophecy that is fulfilled is the one we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment