Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Romantic Friday Writers Challenge #31: The Long, Cool Aphrodisac

Romantic Friday Writers Challenge #31 is a tough one. All I have to offer is a very short poem that is posted to the website I've been working on--off and on (more off than on). Please indulge me and click here to view my poem, I See You There. Enjoy.

14 comments:

  1. Wow; that was intense. I'm wondering what powerful substance will soon be coursing throuh her blod. An eerie party, and she seems so sad and lonely.

    The anticipating of disconnecting from reality was intriguing. Well done Linda.

    ..........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she a spirit or a wall-flower? I don't knowexactly which, but it is an intriguing text.
    Lovely poem, even if I don't understand everything.
    Best wishes,
    Anna

    'To Paul and Julia' Anna's RFW challenge No.31

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this as a poem of two people who dare not admit their attraction to one another, but they are so connected that one can imagine and experience what is going on with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linda,

    Thanks for that explanation. I did think of that as one of several possible interpretations. I can imagine that kind of a relationship too. It is a beautiful, very 'atmospheric' poem. Lovely imagery.

    Thank you for visiting my post! You're first and get an extra link.
    I agree with you that France, Haute cousine, fine wines and their friends in Paris, acted as a sort of aphrodisiac. They first met in Sri Lanka and found each in China, but their work load was such that they had no time for a private life. I think it is safe to say that France was where their love could blossom!

    Best wishes & hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beautiful - lovely imagery and a fantastic rhythm that draws you through.
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda. This is an intense poem to throw at us. I, also, wasn't sure of the subject matter. I have to read poems through many times to try to analyse them and you've certainly created a deep poem, full of intense imagery. 'And the two shall become one...'???

    Thanks for sharing such a powerful piece for us.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a short poem, it sure packs a punch. I especially love:
    "Look one moment towards the light that dances in your glass,
    then let it caress your throat that cool wine, laughter devine."

    Well written, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haunting, emotional. Very intense. For a poem, it shows the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imagery to give food for thought, Linda. Well crafted and unique. There is a sensuality too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda.
    I actually found the poem haunting and a little sad. To me, she was hiding behind a fake facade of laughs and the tear...perhaps realization that even surrounded by all these people, she's really alone.
    Very intriguing poem. Many different interpretations, which is to be expected from poetry.
    Penned very well.
    Thanks for sharing.

    I love the header of your new blog too.

    Love Has Seeped Into My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love the line: It's just me tiptoeing through your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments. I found it very intriguing that you all had your own interpretation of the poem. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I appreciate your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent poem, i loved it. Especially the line about seeing through the smoke.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete