Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Will Always Love You Because

I meant to submit the following entry to a Romantic Friday Writers challenge, but unfortunately too many things conspired against it. I just can't seem to get my act together these days. The challenge was to include the phrase "I will always love you because..." So flash fiction lovers, here goes.

When my Aunt Loverne died of old age many years ago, her relatives were quick to remind us that we were not family since Loverne was the sister of my father's stepmother. Perhaps they were worried that we would want a share of the inheritance. We could have cared less. By our reckoning, she was family. To me, knowing her was gift enough. She was one of the most important people in my life.

Loverne always looked the same to me no matter what her age. She was a tall, slender, blue-eyed Swede with white hair. She spent all her life in a Danish farming community in Iowa and lived many of her years with her sister's family while working at the local bank. She loved fashionable clothes, travel, and family. At the age of 65, Loverne married for the first time to the town rogue, a Dane with a reputation for taking financial advantage of widows. It was a happy marriage.

Through good times and bad, Loverne was my guardian angel. She doted on me from the day I was born. She made certain that I and my brothers had new clothes for school every fall. When I wanted to go to France in my junior year of college, I never thought to ask her, but saving bonds she had bought when I was a child miraculously appeared. Once in my teenage years she told me that I was the daughter she never had. Imagine someone who loves you as a teenager when you are a half-baked, narsacistic brat.

On a recent morning, I awoke from a dream, but my memory of it fell away like shards of broken glass. The only piece I could recall was Loverne standing in the middle of the room and the glowing white of her hair. When I ran to embrace her, she felt so solid, and her skin was so soft to the touch. I pressed my lips to hers.

"Don't cry," she said. "I will always love you because you are you."

3 comments:

  1. Dear Linda,
    I am so glad that you posted this story, anyway; even though the linky was closed. (Can't Denise open it for you?)

    This is such a beautiful childhood memory/story. I am personally moved and not just because Loverne was Swedish! But really, everyone should have a Swede like her in their life!

    Shame on her surviving relatives for not treating you like kin. Bless the memory of her for treating you like a daughter while she was alive.

    Hope you are well and happy! (I'm sending happy faerie-dusty over to you, just in case; And special Swedish vitamin-waves too.)

    Best wishes & hugs,
    Anna
    Anna's SC challenge for wk 97 - 'FIVES'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I left the wrong link. This is the link to my 'I love because - story:

    Anna's RFWers Challenge No.33 'I love you because...'

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda. As Anna asked - can't Denise open it for you? Yes, it would have been my pleasure. I was disappointed when you didn't post and I didn't catch it when you did. I just thought I'd pop in now and say hello. In future just email me: den.covey@gmail.com and I'll open linky for you. I do that from time to time.

    As I've come to expect from you Linda, a great story and good use of the prompt.

    Please pop by RFW and catch up on the latest news. She Wears My Ring is the prompt this Friday.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete