Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Escape to San Francisco

This is what I was supposed to be doing last week--editing my novel, but instead my husband and I spent 9 days in San Francisco. It was a much needed vacation and our friends Zouka and Deb were incredible hosts when they weren't trying to kill us off with the hiking. Actually, I really enjoyed the hiking in Napa, Mount Tamalpais, and Lafayette Reservoir. My husband blew out his left knee on the hills around Lafayette Reservoir.

We started off our vacation with an hour long wait at Mama's restaurant on Washington Square in San Francisco. The waiting line was about a block long--probably because Mama's is in all the tour books. Well, they serve a fantastic breakfast and it was well worth the wait. We finished off that day with Chinglish at the Berkeley Rep Theatre. I always enjoy going to the theatre. I never seem to find time for it at home.

The rest of the week was filled with good food, wine, conversation, and hiking. Zouka and Deb are avid hikers so a 6 or 7 mile hike is a stroll for them. For us, it was a little more challenging. We also enjoyed the trip to Alcatraz and a quick side trip to Benecia to see a factory that makes custom wallpaper.

San Francisco is such an incredibly charming place. I promise to get into more details in future posts, but now I need to plant myself in front of my computer and finish the final round of edits for Dreaming of Laughing Hawk. I leave you with this one photo from our trip to Alcatraz. I think my main character Laughing Hawk would appreciate this photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment