Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Walking the Book

This Wednesday through Friday I have offered my book, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, for free on Amazon in an attempt to gain a little recognition in the vast ocean of books. I call this marketing effort and all the attendant craziness 'walking the book.' Kind of like walking your dog. Not something you're crazy about doing, but probably necessary. Some authors like marketing and they are good at it. Not me. I'm all about diversionary tactics--thinking of ways to escape my computer--gardening, painting, and even, God forbid, house cleaning.

So this is what I was doing this week instead of being a marketing guru. Oh, and by the way, I thank the hundreds of you who have taken the time to download my book. I look forward to hearing from you and getting your review comments.

Painting
It's not great stuff, but it's all about learning. In the last couple months I've been taking classes and buying art books. I can't believe what a challenge a piece of paper, water and paints can be.





Gardening
The garden has gone completely wild. My grandson Jake recently told me: "This is a real jungle, Grandma" as if to say it may not be safe and their could be wild animals lurking in the shadows. Leo, a 15-year old Maine Coon is about as wild as it gets. Occasionally, there are visitors like raccoons, possums or a coyote, but most of the time the wildest thing is the garden itself. When it takes off, it literally is a different garden every day.
Cucumbers Fighting Off the Squash
Squash Blossom

Magical Herbs
The Lion in the Jungle: Leo (15 Years Old)




No comments:

Post a Comment