Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Don't Forget the True Meaning of the Fourth of July

The Fourth of July is the day we celebrate our independence as a free and sovereign country. Our ancestors fought hard for our freedoms and each successive generation has fought hard to protect and extend individual freedoms. We put the words In God We Trust on our coins and perhaps it is that special covenant that has helped us triumph over those who would take away our freedoms.

Today, a world away, the people of Egypt are calling for the resignation of President Morsi for failing to take seriously their freedoms and well-being. They voted him into office and he failed abysmally to heed the concerns and needs of the people. Now they want him to go. I hope they succeed in their quest for independence and a better life.

We are still fighting for our own rights in the United States. The Supreme Court recently gutted the Civil Rights Act, one of the most important pieces of legislation in recent history. As a result, many states are rushing to enact laws to make it more difficult for people to register to vote. Fearful of the increasing power of minority groups, the Republican party is seeking to disenfranchise these people because they know they do not have the power to attract their votes. We fought this fight in the Sixties. It's sad we are going to have to fight this battle again.

Many state legislatures have sought to restrict women's rights to birth control and abortion and require vaginal probes and ultrasounds, etc.  They want to overturn Roe v. Wade. There is nothing that infuriates women more than a bunch of old, white men defining women's reproductive rights and making absurd proclamations such as if rape occurs, it must have been ordained by God. Well, in Texas, women showed up by the thousands. Chances are they will be defeated this time around, but women, minorities, gays, and all lovers of freedom for ALL Americans will persevere. Power to the People!

2 comments:

  1. People do need to take their power back. We've become so lax (yep I'm one I'll admit) that we virtually gave up all that our predecessors fought so hard to win.

    Nothing ever seems the right choice.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete