Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Friday, January 3, 2014

New Beginnings: Jumping Off the Cliff

At Write...Edit...Publish, the prompt for January is new beginnings. Stop by and view the contributions of other writers. Here's my take on new beginnings 2014.


So it's a new year. This is my first watercolor of 2014 and I rather like it, even though it might not appeal to everyone. I like it's energy and it's potential for story telling. I am always seeking the story in words or images. This picture story could be about an unintended accident or a homicide. It could be an angry wife or girlfriend who sends her lover's car over the cliff to even the score or to get his attention. Perhaps it's an elaborate plan to stage one's death to escape the IRS, the FBI, or a spouse and, well, things don't quite go according to plan. Perhaps grief and depression causes someone to speed around a hairpin corner and launch themselves off a cliff. Who knows? But it is a great jumping off point for a writer.

16 comments:

  1. A lovely watercolor and could be the seed for many stories ~ Thanks for sharing ~

    everyday amazing: Resolutions

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Linda. Your talent is inspiring. Such a lot of story possibilities from one artwork. Love the color and movement with the waves crashing against the rocks. I wish you every success in 2014 with your writing and generally.

    Thanks for your continued support for WEP .

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's because my husband and I are revising our diets, but it reminds me of Rice Crispy bars made out of Captain Crunch (so, technically, Captain Crunch bars. I usually add peanut butter as well when I make them). I picture crashing headlong into the gooey mess. That's my first impression. Yes, I'm a little nuts. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, the Match Box car crashed into the Recees Pieces during the Nascar advertising. I can eat it - er dig it. Are those perhaps butter-scotchies? Man oh Man have I got the munchies!

    ,,,,,,,,dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many possibilities, as you said. The homicide one is that appeals most. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. January 22nd,2014
    Hi Linda,
    You paint too! Lots of potential here!
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's WEP for January 2014

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors and how one must really look at the image to feel it. It sucks you in and makes you think. Like you said, a great jumping off point. I'm sure no pun was intended, LOL. Also, it felt new, like this wasn't an old "accident" or incident. This just happened. There is an immediacy to the colors. Dynamic. Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the art of painting - and yes it would inspire so many stories, but of course, I go to murder instantly! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, the watercolor gives the scene a nice light airiness. It could definitely be a starting point for a tale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Linda,

    Terrific watercolor! As a fellow artist, I KNOW how DIFFICULT this medium is to work with and you have a gift for watercolor. I'm a pencil, pen and ink, with splashes of acrylic man, myself.

    I can certainly see many possibilities here...

    ALL the best for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes I like working with pen and watercolor. Mixing mediums is fun.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous watercolor! I love the colors. And you're right, it does have a lot of energy and is an excellent starting point for a story. I like the idea of someone faking their death to avoid the FBI :)

    Stopping by via the WEP!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments. Maybe one of you will have a story to go with it. I admit I need to write a story too but I'm up to my ears in a major landscaping project and probating my uncle's will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm getting dizzy looking over the edge :) This was pretty cool Linda. And I vote the plot is escaping the IRS, lol.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  14. A powerful painting - many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete