Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Monday, April 21, 2014

An April Fool Story

April 1st has passed, but the challenge for Write…Edit…Publish this month is April Fool. So here’s my only April Fool story, a true one.

* * *

A long time ago when I was in my early 20s, I had a dream of a little girl with big brown eyes and long, dark hair. In my dream, she was standing in a group of children, radiant and smiling at me. I realized that she was my daughter.  Several months later I became pregnant—or at least I thought I was.

When the symptoms of pregnancy began to appear, I was excited to go to the doctor for confirmation. I was certain that little girl was on the way, but I failed the pregnancy test. The doctor said there was no way I could be pregnant. I had imagined it all. Of course, this was back in the dark ages when pregnancy testing was not as simple as going to the drugstore and buying a test kit. In any event, I finally convinced the doctor that I was pregnant by the time I was in my third month.



Pregnancy did not agree with me. It made me feel fatigued and I threw up on a daily basis for most of my pregnancy. Instead of expanding my abdomen, the baby grew under my ribs until there was no room for my stomach. I didn't really look pregnant and could wear my regular clothes and sleep on my tummy for my entire pregnancy. I wore maternity outfits so that I looked pregnant. Nevertheless, by 9 months I was ready to be done with pregnancy. I wanted to feel normal again and not be tormented by a baby turning cart wheels morning, noon, and night. I wanted to be able to digest a meal and keep it down. I wanted to be able to bend in the middle. If nothing else, the suspense was killing me. I wanted to see if my dream was true.

Finally, my doctor announced that my baby was ready to come and that I could pack my bag and check into the hospital. I hurried home to give my husband the news and, well, he stood there and laughed at me. Was I trying to pull an April Fool prank? There was no way that baby was ready to come. In fact, it didn't look like there was a baby in my belly at all. I insisted it was no joke.

So on the morning of April 1st we rose to see a light dusting of snow on the ground—far too late in spring for snow. We thought it so unusual we took a photo of it before we left for the hospital and the arrival of our brown-eyed girl. She arrived early evening—a tiny, fragile 6 lb. scrap of a girl with lots of dark hair and spider-like arms and legs. At first, she certainly didn't look like the robust, plump little girl of my dreams, but in a few months she began to evolve into that dream image. Every April Fool day since, I have been reminded what a tricky business motherhood is and that dreams are not to be ignored.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this "story!) I too, have a brown-eyed girl and she came out spidery-limbed as well. Now she is 23 going on 24 and getting married next year. Time moves too fast... What a fun day to have for a birthday, especially if the "April Fool's" part of it doesn't involve tricky presents! This little brown-eyed girl in your photo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Glad you enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  2. Such a touching story. I do believe in precognition, it happens. That is a lovely little girl, with warm brown eyes. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely LInda. What a beautiful story. What a beautiful little girl in the picture. Funny how you had to convince the doctor you were pregnant! A wonderful true story to share for the April Fools prompt.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL; that must have been tough to even convince yourself you were pregnant. She is a beauty though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a heart warming story, and the girl in the picture looks adorable. Spidery limbs, I seem to remember mine had exactly the same :) This is just lovely and its lifted the start of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I'm glad for a story that makes a day a little brighter.

      Delete
  6. Lovely story and I'm so glad it all worked out great in the end - dreams are funny but usually true in some way.

    ReplyDelete