Technical writers or non fiction writers scribble to pay the bills and for the love of the analytical or the exercise of truth or deception.

Fiction authors write to illuminate their world or escape it.

Whichever kind of writer, it's all about staying alive and helping or entertaining others.

The Writing Life

Like most writers, I have a love of reading and the power of words. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on, but I don’t consider myself well read. I consumed books like a starved person, so quickly I hardly knew what I had read. By some strange process of osmosis, I learned from everything I read, but I cannot give you an erudite discussion of characters, plots, or authors. I can only tell you it’s lodged some where in the core of my being and informs my writing.

In addition to reading, I’ve spent a life time writing---from that first elementary school composition to my college days when I studied French literature and wrote explications de texte. Along the way, I fell into technical writing--to put food on the table and pay bills. In the 90s, I had the good fortune to take a dialog class with Sol Stein, former owner of Stein & Day publishers in New York and a prolific author. That led to his California-based writers’ group, Chapter One. It was a rigorous, ego-bruising experience, but I was intent on learning everything I could about fiction writing. A few years ago, I also had the good fortune to study with another writer, Louella Nelson, an experienced romance writer and teacher of fiction writing. She provided a different perspective and balance to my writing.

My novel, DREAMING OF LAUGHING HAWK, a mainstream, Sixties era novel, is available on Amazon in print and ebook (also available in Canada, Europe, Japan, and Brazil). Download a free sample. If you like it, I hope you'll download the book and post a review on Amazon.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

T'is the Season

It’s that time of year when we wistfully wish for peace and goodwill on earth. Ha! This has not happened in the 2000+ years since the birth of Christ. If Jesus were to show up today in any country in the world, there would be plenty of folks eager to nail him to his cross again. The world is filled with ugliness that none of us can escape—that is to say some of us manage better than others, but no one can get out of this world without a brush with evil in some form or another. Every day we are confronted by death, destruction, deceit—the list is long. We put our blinders on and try to deny evil or our part in it. We blame others, even God.

Nevertheless, we hope. We pray for the healing that comes from wisdom and love. We struggle to mend the torn fabric of our family lives. We look to government, business, educational, and religious leaders for honesty, direction and justice. And we fail over and over again, year after year, to make the right choices, exercise responsibility and love, to lift our faces up to God, to defeat evil.

In the year 2014 we have drifted even farther from the concept of peace and goodwill. Each of us must light a candle for hope, purification of spirit. We must grow hearts. We must understand that we will reap what we have sown. And we must ask ourselves the question—what would Jesus or Mohamed or Buddha say or do? If each of us asked ourselves what is good and right in the universe, could the world finally turn toward peace?

So this holiday let us do more than wish: let’s practice the things which can change the world for the better. Light up a child’s eyes, feed a hungry family, set aside grievances, fight injustice, find a way to make a contribution to community or country. Let us each be a light in the darkness, an angel of peace.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, this time of year more than any other we should each let our inner light shine and contribute to the world in a positive way. Thank you for this insightful post Linda.

    Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We must grow hearts." A great idea for 2015. This is such an inspirational post.
    Our best wishes to you and your family for the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If history repeats itself as it always does, the world will probably go to the brink of the abyss. Still I hold hope. There are a lot of angels here on earth.

      Delete